The 149th running of the Kentucky Derby will take place in 2023 and will be sponsored by Woodford Reserve. It’s scheduled for May 6th, 2023, in the Derby City. Twenty horses that have earned their way into the race via the 2023 Road to the Kentucky Derby will compete. Since its founding in 1875, Churchill Downs has been the host venue for the Kentucky Derby, a Grade I stakes race conducted over a distance of 2.0 miles. The total prize pool in 2023 will be $3,000,000 USD.
Here’s everything you need to know about the 2023 Kentucky Derby.
- Time: 10:30 AM ET
- Date: May 6th, 2023
- Venue: Churchill Downs
- Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States
- Distance: 1+1⁄4 mi (10 furlongs; 2,012 m)
- Surface: Dirt
- Category: Grade I stakes race
- Presented by: Woodford Reserve
- Broadcast: NBC
- Live Streming Anywhare: Click Here
Pre-race coverage on the main network will begin at 12:30 pm EDT, with coverage of the under card races commencing at 10:30 am EDT. Broadcast by NBC, live coverage will also be seen on NBCSports.com.
Twenty Of Those Strongest Athletes Run!
Twenty horses will compete for the title based on their point totals from the 2023 Road to the Kentucky Derby, a series of specially designated races that began in 2013. There are races in North America, Dubai, four cities in Japan, and seven cities in England, Ireland, and France that make up the European Road.
The twenty horses were born and raised in the greatest possible environments to maximize their speed and endurance. They’ve been waiting three years for this opportunity to win the Kentucky Derby and, if they do well, the Triple Crown, the pinnacle of athletic achievement. The winner of this 1 and 3/4 mile race will be crowned, given a blanket of 554 red roses, and celebrated as a champion of their sport from that day forward.
- 15. Forte (3-1) Trainer – Todd Pletcher; Jockey – Irad Ortiz Jr.; 7 starts and 6 wins
- 5. Tapit Trice (5-1) Trainer – Todd Pletcher; Jockey – Luis Saez; 5 starts, 4 wins and a show
- 14. Angel Of Empire (8-1) Trainer – Brad Cox; Jockey – Flavien Prat; 6 starts, four wins and a place
- 17. Derma Sotogake (10-1) Trainer – Hidetaka Otonashi, Jockey – Christophe Lemaire; 8 starts, 4 wins and 2 shows
- 6. Kingsbarns (12-1) Trainer – Todd Pletcher; Jockey – Jose Ortiz; 3 starts and 3 wins
- 3. Two Phil’s (12-1) Trainer – Larry Rivelli; Jockey – Jareth Loveberry; 8 starts with 4 wins, 1 place and 1 show
- 2. Verifying (15-1) Trainer – Brad Cox; Jockey – Tyler Gaffalione; 6 starts with 2 wins and 2 places
- 8. Mage (15-1) Trainer – Gustavo Delgado; Jockey – Javier Castellano; 3 starts with 1 win and 1 place
The long shots
- 4. Confidence Game (20-1) Trainer – Keith Desormeaux; Jockey – James Graham, 7 starts with 3 wins, 1 place and 2 shows
- 11. Disarm (30-1) Trainer – Steve Asmussen, Jockey – Joel Rosario; 5 starts with 1 win, 2 places and 2 shows
- 7. Reincarnate (50-1) Trainer -Tim Yakteen (transferred by Bob Baffert); Jockey – John Velazquez; 7 starts with 2 wins, 3 places and 2 shows
Watch Kentucky Derby 2023 Without Cable: PremiumTV
Other horses in the field
- Hit Show (30-1)
- Jace’s Road (50-1)
- Sun Thunder (50-1)
- Raise Cain (50-1)
- Rocket Can 30-1)
- Cyclone Mischief (65-1)
- Mandarin Hero (62-1)
- King Russell (50-1)
Kentucky Derby 2023 Predictions
Forte’s status as a fan favorite was cemented after he won the Florida Derby. After taking home the Santa Anita Derby trophy, highly regarded horse Practical Move moved up to second place in the Post Position Points Standings. However, Practical Move did not play on Thursday because of a fever.
Expect to wait until the final field is announced to view Vegas odds on the Kentucky Derby, despite the fact that these major races typically have a considerable impact on those odds.
Morning Newscast Predictions for the Kentucky Derby can be made with the help of odds. ML chances are a terrific tool for analyzing prospective outcomes, but they are even more useful when combined with workout reports, run styles, and gate positions.
How to Watch 2023 Kentucky Derby
You can livestream the race via NBCSports.com. If NBC is not available in your area, there’s a streaming service for you through which you can easily livestream the Kentucky Derby race. Just click on the PremiumTV provided here and enjoy the moments!