Supreme Court

Supreme Court Allows Trump To Continue Building White House Ballroom

Chief Justice John Roberts issued an administrative stay of a lower court order set to take effect later in the day.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Friday allowed the White House to continue construction on President Donald Trump’s White House ballroom, freezing a court order that would pause the work at midnight.

Chief Justice John Roberts issued an administrative stay of a lower court order set to take effect later in the day, pausing most above-ground construction on the White House ballroom project, which is estimated to cost $400 million.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation brought the legal challenge, arguing that the president did not have authority to demolish the East Wing of the White House and build a ballroom.

“To be clear, this is not a final decision on the merits of the government’s stay application, and we await further action,” a trust spokesman said.

Trump praised the court’s decision in a post on Truth Social.

“We are grateful for the Decision of the United States Supreme Court,” he wrote. “The Military/Ballroom Complex being built on the hallowed grounds of the White House, which is so vital for National Security, will be THE GREATEST OF ITS KIND!”

Trump added that “construction is under budget and ahead of schedule.”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Trump also argued that the ballroom was not merely an addition to the building, but a critical military site essential to national security.

The plan includes an extensive underground component, including secure locations and medical facilities that the administration has argued are vital for security.

“You know, that started as a ballroom. And before we started work, the military came to see me. And they say, ‘Sir, we have an opportunity to do something incredible here. And we’ve been trying to do it for 100 years, but we’ve never had an opportunity like that,’” Trump said. 

You May Also Like

White House

Federal judges say congressional approval is required before construction can continue.

National Security

The Iran war has strained key American munitions stockpiles.

Justice Department

President Donald Trump on Monday said D.C. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro “folded” for dropping charges last week against those charged with damaging the Lincoln Memorial...

Congress

GOP senators had threatened to block Blanche's AG bid unless he formally killed the fund.

Copyright © 2020 - [wpsos_year] FWRD AXIS Media Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Exit mobile version