Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

U.S. News

2 National Guard Member In Critical Condition After Being Shot Near White House In Targeted Attack

The suspect was identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, who came to the U.S. from Afghanistan in 2021.

WASHINGTON — Two National Guard members from West Virginia are in critical condition after a gunman opened fire on Wednesday in an apparent “targeted shooting” near the White House, officials said.

The shooting took place at Farragut Square — a tourist-heavy area located near a busy transit center and the White House.

The Department of Homeland Security has identified the suspect as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, who came to the U.S. from Afghanistan in 2021.

FBI Director Kash Patel said during the news conference that the two guard members are in critical condition.

“To the American public and the world, please send your prayers to those brave warriors who are in critical condition and their families,” Patel said during the news conference.

The gunman approached three National Guard members who appeared not to see him until he began shooting, striking one guard member and then another, the officials said.

US law restricts firearms sales to people who aren’t citizens or legal permanent residents, and it’s unclear whether the alleged gunman could have legally bought the handgun, the officials said.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

President Donald Trump called the shooting “an act of evil, an act of hatred and an act of terror,” adding, “It was a crime against our entire nation.”

“We’re not going to put up with these kind of assaults on law and order by people who shouldn’t even be in our country,” Trump added. “We must now reexamine every single alien who’s entered our country from Afghanistan under Biden, and we must take all necessary measures to ensure the removal of any alien from any country who does not belong here or add benefit to our country.”

 The US Citizenship and Immigration Services said in a post on X that the processing of all immigration cases related to Afghan immigrants “is stopped indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols.”

National Guard troops from multiple states have been in Washington, DC, for months as part of Trump’s anti-crime crackdown in the nation’s capital, which has since expanded to other cities across the country.

CNN reported last month that National Guard troops will remain mobilized in the city at least through February.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

Stephen Anderson is FWRD AXIS' Co-founder and White House Reporter.




Advertisement




Advertisement

You May Also Like

U.S. News

The raid came just hours after it was reported that DNA found at the home did not match anyone close to Nancy Guthrie.

U.S. News

Authorities are looking for a male, who is 5’9” to 5’10” tall.

U.S. News

It did not elaborate on why the restrictions had been put in place for El Paso, which borders Mexico.

U.S. News

The news comes just hours after the FBI released Nest camera footage was released by the FBI.

Advertisement