Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Trump Trials

Special Counsel Asks Judge To Delay Trump Classified Docs Case Until December

Trump has denied any wrongdoing and continues to say he was entitled to the documents.

Special counsel Jack Smith speaks to reporters Friday, June 9, 2023, in Washington. (Photo: Alex Brandon/AP)

Special counsel Jack Smith has asked the judge overseeing former President Donald Trump’s classified documents case to delay the start of the trial until December, according to a new motion filed late Friday.

Earlier this week, U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon set a tentative date of August 14 for the start of the trial.

Trump has pleaded not guilty to 37 criminal federal counts related to his handling of classified materials, including willful retention of national defense information, making false statements and representations, and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

The motion also calls for the list of witnesses that they believe Trump and his codefendant, Walt Nauta, should be barred from speaking to about the case as it moves toward trial.

In Friday’s filing, Smith says he wants to ensure that defense counsels obtain the necessary security clearances to review discovery materials, which will realistically take more time than the August trial date proposed by Cannon earlier this week.

Trump has denied any wrongdoing and continues to say he was entitled to the documents, adding the indictment and charges were politically motivated.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

Stephen Anderson is FWRD AXIS' Co-founder and White House Reporter.

You May Also Like

Trump Administration

Trump announced the decision Sunday, directing Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to reduce future exercises between American and South Korean forces.

Donald Trump

A man taken into custody at the Trump National Golf Club in Los Angeles County over the weekend visited the grounds twice while a...

White House

Federal judges say congressional approval is required before construction can continue.

Justice Department

President Donald Trump on Monday said D.C. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro “folded” for dropping charges last week against those charged with damaging the Lincoln Memorial...

Advertisement