EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Dallas Cowboys opened the regular season on Sunday by sending a message to the rest of the NFL that 2023 may really be their year.
- The Cowboys opened the season with a 40-0 victory over the New York Giants, the largest margin of victory between the teams.
- Noah Igbinoghene returned a blocked kick for a touchdown and from there, Dallas never looked back.
- Tony Pollard began his first season as the main running back for Dallas with two touchdown runs and the Cowboys forced three turnovers.
“For us, it’s about not getting ahead of ourselves,” Dallas quarterback Dak Prescott said. “Continuing to stay disciplined, to show the discipline. Not only what we did through these four quarters, but taking that and making sure we use it throughout our preparation this week.”
Defense dominates: Dallas’ defense dominated the Giants all night long, leaving New York coach Brian Daboll lost for words.
- “It’s one game. It wasn’t a good game and I’m not going to sugarcoat it. It was a bad game and it’s on me,” he said.
- Quarterback Daniel Jones was sacked seven times as he finished 15 for 28 with 104 passing yards.
Up next: The Cowboys are now 1-0 on the season and will return to the field next Sunday when they host Aaron Rodgers and the New York Jets at 3:15 pm.