Ryan Seacrest will take over as the host of the syndicated game show “Wheel of Fortune” next year as Pat Sajak gets set to retire at the end of the next season, it was announced Tuesday.
Seacrest signed a “multi-year agreement” to host the show starting in 2024, Sony Pictures Television said in a press release. He will also serve as the consulting producer.
“I’m truly humbled to be stepping into the footsteps of the legendary Pat Sajak. I can say, along with the rest of America, that it’s been a privilege and pure joy to watch Pat and Vanna on our television screens for an unprecedented 40 years, making us smile every night and feel right at home with them,” he said in a statement.
“Pat, I love the way you’ve always celebrated the contestants and made viewers at home feel at ease,” Seacrest added. “I look forward to learning everything I can from you during this transition.”
Seacrest is best known for his hosting on Fox and ABC’s singing competition American Idol. He also has a weekly syndicated radio show. He co-hosted the daytime talk show “Live with Kelly and Ryan” for six years, alongside Kelly Ripa before departing earlier this year.
Sajak announced on June 12 he is retiring after the end of the upcoming season.
“Well, the time has come,” he tweeted on June 12. “I’ve decided that our 41st season, which begins in September, will be my last,” he said. “It’s been a wonderful ride, and I’ll have more to say in the coming months.”
Sajak took over hosting duties of the famous gameshow back in 1981 alongside Vanna White. Sony says “Wheel of Fortune” draws more than 26 million viewers a week.