(Fwrd Axis) — Veteran journalist and Fox News anchor Chris Wallace announced he’s leaving the network after 18 years and will be joining CNN+ to host a weekday show beginning in 2022.
Wallace made the surprising announcement during the final segment of his Sunday show “Fox News Sunday”, the program that he has moderated since 2003.
“After 18 years — this is my final ‘Fox News Sunday.’ It is the last time, and I say this with real sadness, we will meet like this,” Wallace said.
Wallace signed a “long term contact” with Fox News back in September 2017. Sources familiar with the situation say Wallace made the decision on his own to leave the network at the completion of his contract. He will now join CNN’s new streaming service, CNN+, to host a show featuring interviews with newsmakers “across politics, business, sports and culture.”
“I am thrilled to join CNN+. After decades in broadcast and cable news, I am excited to explore the world of streaming. I look forward to the new freedom and flexibility streaming affords in interviewing major figures across the news landscape — and finding new ways to tell stories,” Wallace said in a statement.
Over the years, Fox News has transformed from standard and tradition reporting to a right-wing talk network that regularly pushes conspiracy theories. Popular host Tucker Carlson has come under fire for producing a special that claims the January 6 attack on the Capitol was a “false flag” orchestrated by the federal government.
NPR reported Wallace objected to the idea to Fox News brass and it played a part in his decision to leave the network.
Wallace is second major journalist to depart in recent weeks after Brian Williams signed off at NBC after 28 years earlier last week. There is speculation Williams could be the next big name announced for CNN+ or he could make a move to ABC News.