(Fwrd Axis) — Simon Cowell is looking to revive his singing competition The X Factor just one year after British broadcaster ITV canceled the show, saying he believes the show still has life.
Speaking to The Sun on Sunday, the America’s Got Talent judge hinted the timing is right for the show to be revived but not in the U.K. Instead, the 62-year-old has said he wants to bring the show back to America nine years after it last aired.
“I’m proud of the show,” Cowell told the tabloid. “In fact, I’m actually thinking about trying to bring X Factor back to America.”
The X Factor ran for three seasons in America from 2011 before its cancellation in 2013. Over its run, Cowell attempted to fill the judging panel with big names in the music industry including Britney Spears, Demi Lovato, Paula Abdul, Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio, Nicole Scherzinger, and L.A Reid.
It was not much better for the hosts. British presenter Steve Jones hosted just one season before being replaced by reality star Khloe Kardashian and Mario Lopez. In the third and final season, Lopez helmed the show solo.
“The X Factor is far from dead in America,” a source told the tabloid. “Simon always felt the show needed some rest and some revamping. “He and the producers are looking at making it appeal to a wider audience and incorporating more social media platforms and streaming possibilities.”
Meanwhile, the show was axed in the U.K. late last year after 14 years. In 2004, The X Factor premiered to 20 million viewers but ended its run with just three million viewers for the spinoff show X Factor: The Band. ITV confirmed the news of the cancellation, saying there were no plans to bring the show back.
“There are no current plans for the next series of The X Factor at this stage,” a spokesperson for the broadcaster said.
Cowell’s other shows Britain’s Got Talent is currently airing on ITV and America’s Got Talent is set to return in late May for its 17th season.