Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Congress

Eric Swalwell Resigns From Congress After Sexual Assault Allegations

He didn’t specify when exactly he intends to step down.

WASHINGTON — California Democratic Representative Eric Swalwell announced on Monday that he intends to resign from Congress due to sexual assault allegations against him.

“I am aware of efforts to bring an immediate expulsion vote against me and other members. Expelling anyone in Congress without due process, within days of an allegation being made, is wrong. But it’s also wrong for my constituents to have me distracted from my duties. Therefore, I plan to resign my seat in Congress,” Swalwell wrote in a post on X.

He didn’t specify when exactly he intends to step down, saying instead that he would work with his staff to ensure they can “serve the needs of the good people of the 14th congressional district.”

In his statement, Swalwell apologized to his family, staff and constituents for “mistakes in judgment I’ve made in my past.” However, Swalwell maintained that at least some of the allegations were false.

“I will fight the serious, false allegations made against me. However, I must take responsibility for the mistakes I did make,” Swalwell wrote.

The former staffer claimed that she had sexual encounters with the congressman while working in his office. She also alleged that he sexually assaulted her twice while she was intoxicated and unable to consent. FWRD AXIS News has not verified her allegations but has confirmed her identity and her employment with Swalwell from 2019 to 2021.

CNN later reported on sexual misconduct allegations against Swalwell from four women, including one whose story matched the details from the Chronicle article. One of the women, Democratic influencer Ally Sammarco, claimed that Swalwell sent her unsolicited photos of his penis.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Swalwell later posted a video to social media saying “these allegations of sexual assault are flat false.”

“They did not happen, they have never happened. And I will fight them with everything I have,” Swalwell said in the video.

Written By

Stephen Anderson is FWRD AXIS' Co-founder and White House Reporter.

You May Also Like

White House

Federal judges say congressional approval is required before construction can continue.

Justice Department

President Donald Trump on Monday said D.C. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro “folded” for dropping charges last week against those charged with damaging the Lincoln Memorial...

Congress

GOP senators had threatened to block Blanche's AG bid unless he formally killed the fund.

Trump Tariffs

The 50% tariffs would exclude energy products, potash, fish and critical minerals.

Advertisement