WASHINGTON — Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) said Tuesday he is planning to recuse himself from his committee assignments amid multiple investigations into his past after he was found lying about his credentials.
“With the ongoing attention surrounding both my personal and campaign financial investigations, I have submitted a request to Speaker McCarthy that I be temporarily recused from my committee assignments until I am cleared,” Santos said in a statement.
“This was a decision that I take very seriously,” he added. “The business of the 118th Congress must continue without media fanfare. It is important that I primarily focus on serving the constituents of New York’s Third Congressional District and providing federal level representation without distraction.”
The news comes amid several investigations after Santos admitted to lying about his past, including graduating from college and that his mother was at the World Trade Center during the 9/11 attacks. After Republicans won control of the House of Representatives, Santos was put on the Small Business and Science committees but has faced multiple calls to resign. Tuesday he said he was no plans to step down.
A poll released on Tuesday showed 78 percent of Republicans believe Santos should resign from Congress and 71 percent of voters in his district say they would have voted for another candidate if the lies had been discovered sooner.
House GOP Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik was asked Tuesday about Santos and said the “process will play itself out” in the next election.
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy met with Santos on Tuesday and rumors began to circulate that Mcarthy made a request for the recusal. However, both men disputed that when asked by reporters.
“Nobody tells me to do anything. I made a decision on my own,” Santos said.
“The voters have elected him, and he’ll have a voice here in Congress, and until he answers all those questions, then, at that time, he’ll be able to be seated on committees,” McCarthy said about the investigations.