Former President Donald Trump said Tuesday he has been informed by Special Counsel Jack Smith that he’s the target of the investigation over efforts to overturn the 2020 election.
The Story: The letter was sent to Trump’s legal team over the last few days, a sign another indictment of the former president could be imminent.
- “Deranged Jack Smith, the prosecutor with Joe Biden’s DOJ, sent a letter (again, it was Sunday night!) stating that I am a TARGET of the January 6th Grand Jury investigation,” Trump posted to Truth Social.
- The former president also acknowledged this means a third indictment, charging and arresting him.
- Target letters are usually given to those who are the main target in a criminal investigation to put them on notice.
- It is not yet known what the charges are or whether anyone else received a target letter.
Going deeper: According to sources, prosecutors have questioned witnesses about the plot to install fake electors to cast electoral college votes during the certification for Trump.
- Investigators have also spoken to several witnesses, wanting details on Trump’s actions and his state of mind in the days leading up to the deadly Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Why it matters: Trump was indicted last month on 37 federal charges in connection with his handling of classified documents.
- Prosecutors say Trump repeatedly refused to return a trove of documents containing classified information.
- Trump has pled not guilty to all charges.
- As his legal troubles get worse, the former president is currently the leading GOP candidate for the Republican nomination next year.