Capitol Bomb Threat Suspect Surrenders After Hourslong Standoff With Police

Law enforcement did not recover any explosive devices from the truck of the suspect.

WASHINGTON — A man who told Washington D.C. law enforcement he had an explosive device in his truck near the U.S. Capitol has surrendered to law enforcement after an hours-long standoff.

Capitol Police identified the suspect as Floyd Ray Roseberry, who was posting videos from his truck on social media earlier Thursday.

“He is in custody and that part is done,” U.S. Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger told reporters. “He gave up and did not resist. Our folks were able to take him into custody without incident.”

Law enforcement searched Roseberry’s pickup but did not recover any explosive devices.

Congressional staff was sent alerts around 10 a.m. ET to shelter in place and remain calm. The incident occurred around 9:15 a.m. ET when Roseberry drove his black truck on the sidewalk in front of the Library of Congress.

In several Facebook videos and live streams, Roseberry said he wanted to start a “revolution” and ranted about health care, Covid, and complained about undocumented immigrants. He directly addressed President Joe Biden and made several demands, including wanting American airstrikes in Afghanistan and calling for Biden to resign.

Roseberry repeatedly said health insurance didn’t cover his or his wife’s illness, claiming his wife has cancer and insurance wouldn’t cover her surgery. He said he had explosive devices and yelled at bystanders to get away from the area.

Facebook took down Roseberry’s videos and issued a statement on the matter.

“We are in contact with law enforcement and have removed the suspect’s videos and profile from Facebook and Instagram,” the company said.

Roseberry’s ex-wife, Crystal Dancy, told NBC News in an interview that Roseberry is “mentally unstable” but that she never imagined he would do “something of this magnitude.”

The Cannon office building was evacuated during the threat along with the surrounding areas and was reopened shortly before 5 p.m.

Related Posts