Former President Donald Trump announced Sunday he will not go back on the witness stand in the $250 million civil fraud trial against the Trump Organization.
In a two-part post on his social media platform Truth Social, Trump said he would not testify, claiming the process is rigged against him.
“I have already testified to everything & have nothing more to say other than this is a complete & total election interference (Biden campaign!) witch hunt” so “I will not be testifying on Monday,” Trump said in an all-caps post.
Trump was expected to push back on New York Attorney General Letitia James’ claims that he overvalued his assets along with his net worth in financial statements that he used to get favorable loans from banks.
While testifying on November 6, Trump has made claims against Arthur Engoron, James, and others in the process. He called James a “political hack” who “should be ashamed of herself” and referred to Engoron as a “very hostile judge.”
“It’s a terrible thing you did,” Trump told the judge.
There is really nothing more to say to a Judge who has imposed an unconstitutional gag order and thus far appears to have ignored President Trump’s testimony and that of everyone else involved in the complex financial transactions at issue in the case.” Kise insisted that the defense witnesses had already showed “there were no defaults, no victims and no fraud, adding that, Trump attorney Chris Kise said.
Trump lawyer Alina Habba had told reporters on Thursday that Trump was “looking forward to taking the stand.”
“He will open himself up to whatever they want because he’s not afraid. People that are afraid cower. President Trump doesn’t cower,” she said.
Engoron has said it will take him a few weeks to issue his ruling in the case.