Former President Donald Trump’s legal team turned over several documents in mid-March in response to a federal subpoena regarding a classified U.S. military document but were not able to find the actual document that was described by the former president in an audio recording.
Federal prosecutors issued the subpoena after a former Trump aide testified before a federal grand jury about the audio recording of a meeting in the summer of 2021 at Trump’s golf course in Bedminster, New Jersey. On the recording, the former president acknowledges that he kept a classified document about a potential attack on Iran.
The news comes just 24 hours after Trump sat down with Fox News host Sean Hannity for a town hall in Iowa. Trump was asked about the bombshell reporting but played it off as a political witch hunt.
“I don’t know anything about it. All I know is this. Everything I did was right,” Trump said. “We had the Presidential Records Act, which I abided by 100 percent.”
“When you look at it, it’s another, it’s a continuation of the greatest witch hunt of all time. It’s a hoax,” he added. “And it has to do more than anything else with trying to interfere with the election.”
CNN reported Friday that prosecutors have sought “any and all” documents and materials related to Mark Milley, Trump’s chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Iran, including maps or invasion plans.
Trump has long maintained he is innocent of any crime but his attorneys have requested a meeting with Attorney General Merrick Garland, amid fears of a looming indictment.
Trump has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing associated with classified materials and said on a CNN Town Hall earlier this month he had every right to take them.
“I had every right to do it, I didn’t make a secret of it. You know, the boxes were stationed outside the White House, people were taking pictures of it,” Trump told moderator Kaitlan Collins.