Former Vice President Mike Pence will not appeal an order from a federal judge, clearing the way to testify about former President Donald Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 election.
“Vice President Mike Pence swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution, and his claim that the Biden Special Counsel’s unprecedented subpoena was unconstitutional under the Speech or Debate Clause was an important one made to preserve the Separation of Powers outlined by our Founders,” Pence adviser Devin O’Malley said in a statement Wednesday. “In the Court’s decision, that principle prevailed. The Court’s landmark and historic ruling affirmed for the first time in history that the Speech or Debate Clause extends to the Vice President of the United States. Having vindicated that principle of the Constitution, Vice President Pence will not appeal the Judge’s ruling and will comply with the subpoena as required by law.”
The news comes just 24 hours after Trump pleaded not guilty to 34 felony counts of falsifying business records related to his alleged role in hush money payments to adult film star Stormy Daniels during the 2016 presidential campaign.
The not guilty plea marked the first time a former president has had to plead to criminal charges.
The indictment said Trump “repeatedly and fraudulently falsified New York business records to conceal criminal conduct that hid damaging information from the voting public during the 2016 presidential election.” It went on to mention the three people the former president allegedly paid off were Daniels, Playboy model Karen McDougal and a former Trump Tower doorman who’d claimed to have a story about a child Trump had.
It is not yet known when Pence will be asked to testify as the case remains sealed.
Judge James Boasberg announced last week that he was against efforts by both Pence and Trump to limit his testimony and avoid handing over documents.